Because this maintenance affects all network traffic that goes through the perimeter firewall, the following disruptions will occur:
- IllinoisNet, IllinoisNet_Guest, and Eduroam will be unavailable. Users will be able to connect to the wireless networks without any issue. They just won't be able to access non-UIUC services (like cnn.com or Netflix)
- Websites and web services hosted on the Urbana campus will be inaccessible by anyone attempting to reach them from outside of the Urbana campus network. This includes off-campus internet services as well as devices using cellular connections from on or off campus. This means that illinois.edu, Exchange webmail, and other web-based services from Urbana will be unavailable from off-campus during the maintenance.
- Access to non-Illinois websites will be unavailable from campus during this maintenance. For example, anyone with a wired connection to the campus network will be unable to reach off campus websites like cnn.com or Netflix.
- Skype. All Skype functionality (including Skype to Skype calls) will be fine if you are on campus. What will be disrupted are Skype to Skype calls between off-campus and on-campus.
Several services will continue to work during this maintenance including the following:
- The Tech Services VPN will continue to be available and provide access to campus resources. (But access to off-campus resources with a "Tunnel All" profile will not work.)
- Calls made to and from campus from cell phones or traditional phone lines will continue to work normally.
- Services hosted in the Chicago datacenter or services that bypass the campus firewall will still be available.
- E-911 from campus will continue to functional normally.
Cloud-based services will continue to work during this maintenance for off-campus users, but will be unavailable for on-campus users. Services in this category include Illinois Compass.